Database Lead (Remote USA)
Itemize is a FinTech data extraction solution used by companies to transform purchase documents, such as receipts and invoices, into data for their accounting and expense tracking needs. Recognized by Gartner as a top provider in the field, Itemize harnesses leading edge Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to drive processing efficiency for a range of innovative clients in financial services, including payments, accounting software, expense management, and ERP.
Itemize operates a cloud-based processing service that involves both fully and partially automated systems for extraction, validation, and verification. The Itemize platform supports users in over 25 countries and numerous languages. Clients and partners include major payments networks and global ERP companies.
You are a skilled database engineer eager to join a core development team at the heart of the Itemize IP. You have extensive hands-on experience in the logical design, implementation, indexing, normalization, and performance tuning of databases. You are highly competent at store procedure coding, dynamic querying, replication, DB privileges, troubleshooting, monitoring, analysis, and data quality. You own the full development, delivery, and maintenance of database changes.
You are proactive and forward-thinking to ensure flexibility, efficiency, scalability, robustness, and customizability in our data architecture. You possess the ability to preemptively diagnose potential pain points that impact the business’s ability to meet SLAs. You think outside the box, recognizing that bigger hardware should not be the first go-to “solution” when things are slow.
You thrive in a rapid-paced environment, and transition seamlessly between assigned tasks and addressing production issues. You build on broadly stated requirements and independently derive the intent of functions and features. You pay careful attention to detail, thinking through downstream effects of data architecture on data mining, business intelligence, and analysis. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and are comfortable presenting your ideas to others.
You are committed to the values of teamwork, integrity, and innovation.
The Database Engineer will report to the Vice President of Technology and will be responsible to:
- Design and maintain the scalable architecture and structure of the core Itemize databases
- Develop globally distributed and regional master-master data stores for static/slowly changing data
- Create/modify data tables and views to efficiently support the development of APIs
- Maintain the Itemize databases including disaster recovery, replication, and upgrades
- Write efficient and scalable ETLs for data cleansing, processing, and aggregation
- Prioritize and assign tasks for off-shore DB developers, review their work product, and ensure delivery meets Itemize architecture standards
- Partner with Production team to acquire new data sets and address data quality issues
- Design, develop, maintain data marts supporting business intelligence products for external and internal use in the cloud (AWS)
- Maintain disaster recovery environments specifically to minimize RPO and RTO
- Provide operational support for monitoring, triaging and resolving production issues
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 5+ years’ experience of expert-level, hands-on SQL programming and data modeling in a professional work environment
- Database: MySQL
- Infrastructure: AWS RDS, Linux
- Languages: SQL
- Experience developing fault-tolerant and highly scalable databases in master-master configurations
- Experience with production support for a globally distributed environment
- Hands on working experience with RDS Amazon Web Services
- Experience with No-SQL databases
- Working knowledge of Linux shell scripting
- Experience working in a small and dynamic environment